Nuisance and Noisy Neighbours

Problems with your neighbours can quickly become stressful. Nuisance neighbours may cause you distress through antisocial behaviour or even by causing damage to your property.  At Kingsley Smith Solicitors we take nuisance neighbour disputes very seriously. It may seem like you’re in an impossible situation, but getting legal advice early on in the dispute will help.

Contact our civil litigation team today to receive guidance on your neighbour problem for a fixed fee, either on 01634 811118 or by filling out an online enquiry form.

Neighbour problems can include:

Noisy neighbours?

Are your neighbours creating noise that is hard to live with? Do they play loud music throughout the day and night? Are they carrying out noisy building work? When it comes to noisy neighbours you may feel that there is no easy way to deal with it. This is not the case. Speaking to a solicitor is the best starting point to resolving the issue.

Noise problems from neighbours can be caused by the following:

  • Arguments
  • Loud music or TVs
  • DIY projects
  • Moving furniture
  • Alarms
  • Ball games
  • Dogs barking
  • Doors slamming
  • Abusive behaviour

Some level of noise is expected and unavoidable. However it may become a nuisance according to the law when ‘it is an unlawful interference with a person’s enjoyment or use of land’.

The process of determining what level of noise is unacceptable can be difficult as it depends on the particular circumstances and situation. However, the level of noise, duration and timing need to be taken into account by the local authority to consider whether there's an act of nuisance. 

A local authority has a duty to deal with noise complaints and you should report instances to them when they occur. The police may get involved in cases in which the issue is classed as a ‘breach of the peace’.

If the above fails to solve the issue, you could approach your local authority on your behalf with the following details:

  • A description of the noise.
  • The name and address of the premises the noise is coming from.
  • The details of the occupier.
  • The date and time the noise occurs and its duration.
  • How the noise is affecting you.

Once a proper investigation has been carried out, your Local Authority could then decide to issue your neighbour with an ‘Noise abatement order’. This will advise on steps they need to take to avoid further legal action. They usually have 21 days to appeal this. 
Speak to an expert today for guidance on dealing with noisy neighbours on 01634 811118 or make an online enquiry.

Harassment from Neighbours:

Are you experiencing harassment from your neighbours? It may be that they are verbally abusing you and your family or deliberately intimidating you in your day-to-day life.

This may be the result of an already existing dispute or because of perceived discriminatory behaviour. No one should have to suffer neighbour harassment and at Kingsley Smith Solicitors we take this issue very seriously.

Contact us today for expert and impartial advice on 01634 811118 or make an online enquiry.

Right of Access Problems:

Obstruction of access can be a really challenging neighbourhood dispute. Issues with access to a property can be long-standing and stressful.

Perhaps a new neighbour has moved in and a previous right of way to your property is now being obstructed. Or you may have a private way to your property, which is being used by members of the public or your neighbours.

If this is the case, or if a neighbour is obstructing access to your property and your right of way is formally registered in your property deeds, then this is classed as interference with your right of way.

In any of these cases, you can make a claim to the court that your rights have been interfered with. It is advisable to seek legal advice before you proceed with formalities.

Get in touch for a practical solution to your problems on 01634 811118 or make an online enquiry.

Environmental Health Complaint:

If you have an environmental health issue on-going with your neighbour, then you should consider legal action, if no agreement can be reached. Maybe they’re having large bonfires, which is sending dirty smoke into your home or affecting your washing? They could be leaving piles of rubbish outside their property, which is attracting vermin, or encroaching onto your property.

You can report the existence of any rubbish and/or substance in your neighbour’s garden to your local authority if it is causing an environmental health hazard. Before approaching a local authority or taking legal advice, we would suggest that you talk to your neighbour, or write a polite note to them and attempt to reach an amicable solution. If you’ve already gone down this route with little success, then perhaps now is the time for legal action.

Make an enquiry on 01634 811118 use our online enquiry form.

Neighbour Invasion of Privacy

Do you have difficulties with a neighbour invading your privacy? What could be an uncomfortable and distressing issue may in fact be classed as a very real invasion of privacy.

There are a number of scenarios where you may feel your privacy is being invaded. These can include trampolines positioned in such a way that they can see into your garden or property, scaffolding up around their property, which gives a view into your property. They may also have put up CCTV to survey their property, which encroaches the privacy of your property.

It is worth bearing in mind that an individual does have a right to protect their property with CCTV. It is not technically an invasion of privacy if it can be proved it is not being used to monitor and track an individual’s behaviour but simply to secure that neighbour's property. However it is found that the CCTV is without good reason focused upon your property, this could be considered to be a breach of your privacy. 

If you are being affected by any of these privacy issues, which cannot be solved by amicable conversations or face-to-face resolution, then our solicitors can help.

Contact us today for expert and impartial advice on 01634 811118 or make an online enquiry.

Experiencing parking issues with Neighbours?

If you have a problem with your neighbours parking outside your property, you should assess whether it breaches the Highway Code.

If your neighbour is regularly parking outside your house when there are other spaces on the road or are consistently parking in front of your drive or over the edge of the entrance to your property then you may have a case.

Parking issues with neighbours can be difficult to resolve. Under the Highway Code, anyone can park on a public right of way, providing they are not blocking the entrance to a property or are not breaching other road markings and restrictions. If however, you feel their behaviour is unreasonable or you think it may be breaking the law, then you should get advice.

Speak to an expert today on 01634 811118 or make an online enquiry.

What steps can I take to resolve a neighbour problem?

It’s important to get legal advice so you know what options you have available to you and can start to deal with the situation. At Kingsley Smith Solicitors we offer practical, actionable advice and are expert problem solvers.

In order to deal with your nuisance neighbours we always recommend talking to them about the problem in a diplomatic way. They may not have realised the disturbance or problem they’re causing. At Kingsley Smith Solicitors we offer a mediation service, which can help resolve difficult issues in a supportive environment without the need for intervention.

By getting advice you can establish where you stand from a legal perspective and this can put your mind at rest without having to take it further. Alternatively, we can help you with practical advice and provide solutions if you want to take matters further. At Kingsley Smith we give you answers to your concerns, easing the worry and stress of the situation.

Contact Kingsley Smith Solicitors today for expert advice on 01634 811118 or make an online enquiry, all for a fixed fee. 

The materials appearing on this website do not constitute legal advice and are provided for general information purposes only. No warranty, whether express or implied is given in relation to such materials. We shall not be liable for any technical, editorial, typographical or other errors or omissions within the information provided on this website, nor shall we be responsible for the content of any web images or information linked to this website. Viewing this website, or contacting us does not constitute a solicitor client relationship between you and this firm.